Notify the City Events team if you are organising an activity or event that may:
- affect vehicle or pedestrian traffic
- increase traffic to a specific area (concerts, sports)
- require a road or footpath closure (parades, marches, runs, rallies)
- require signage next to a road.
Events on the waterfront
You can make a booking request to hold an event at one of the following locations:
Book a Wellington Waterfront venue
These venues are free to non-profit organisations, community events and charity events.
For more information, contact:
Toby Acheson, Senior Advisor
Events, Logistics and Venues
Phone: 04 803 8776
Permission to use a road or footpath
Any organisation, business or individual who is planning an activity that requires closure of a vehicle lane, parking area or footpath needs permission from the Council. This could apply to the following activities:
- a parade, street celebration or cultural event
- a race or run.
Apply for permission
To apply for permission, please fill in the application form and send to the Street Activities Coordinator.
We take about 10 working days to process requests for simple closures. Complex closures can take much longer, depending on the scale of your event.
Fees may apply to recover administration and planning costs.
If you have any questions, or would like to give us feedback on the licence process, email email@example.com or phone the street activities coordinator on 04 499 4444.
Once you have applied for permission, a meeting is arranged with either the City Events team or Road Protection team to review any other requirements that are relevant to your event. These may include:
- traffic and pedestrian management plans
- emergency management plans
- risk management issues
- health and safety
- public liability insurance.
Events with food stalls
Event organisers must check that any food stallholders:
- have a food registration certificate, if they are selling food as a business, or
- understand food safety requirements, if they are fundraising.
What we need to know
Before the event takes place, you must complete the application form below, including:
- a list of all stallholders
- details of the equipment supplied for the event by the organiser
- get all stallholders to provide information required in the application form.