Organising an event

Sometimes you need to get special permission from the Council to hold street events.

Notify the City Events team if you are organising an activity or event that may:

  • affect vehicle or pedestrian traffic
  • increase traffic to a specific area (concerts, sports)
  • require a road or footpath closure (parades, marches, runs, rallies)
  • require signage next to a road.

Events on the waterfront

You can make a booking request to hold an event at one of the following locations:

Book a Wellington Waterfront venue

These venues are free to non-profit organisations, community events and charity events.

For more information, contact:

Toby Acheson, Senior Advisor
Events, Logistics and Venues
Phone: 04 803 8776

Permission to use a road or footpath

Any organisation, business or individual who is planning an activity that requires closure of a vehicle lane, parking area or footpath needs permission from the Council. This could apply to the following activities:

  • a parade, street celebration or cultural event
  • a race or run.

Apply for permission

To apply for permission, please fill in the application form and send to the Street Activities Coordinator.

We take about 10 working days to process requests for simple closures. Complex closures can take much longer, depending on the scale of your event.

Fees may apply to recover administration and planning costs.

If you have any questions, or would like to give us feedback on the licence process, email or phone the street activities coordinator on 04 499 4444.

Planning meeting

Once you have applied for permission, a meeting is arranged with either the City Events team or Road Protection team to review any other requirements that are relevant to your event. These may include:

  • traffic and pedestrian management plans
  • emergency management plans
  • risk management issues
  • health and safety
  • public liability insurance.

Events with food stalls

Event organisers must check that any food stallholders:

  • have a food registration certificate, if they are selling food as a business, or
  • understand food safety requirements, if they are fundraising.

Food stalls

Fundraisers and sausage sizzles

Food trucks

What you need to do

You must provide a list of all stallholders to the Council and get all stallholders to provide the following information:

Food stalls form (53KB PDF)

You also need to provide some, or all, of the following, depending on what's being sold:

  • marquees, tents and gazebos
  • hand-washing facilities
  • toilet facilities (the location of the nearest public facilities if available for use)
  • refrigeration storage for the food (in addition to any drinks storage)
  • possible contingency plans in case the power supply on the day is inadequate - for example, gas-power or generator
  • rubbish disposal plan.

During the event

An environmental health officer will usually be on hand to inspect and give advice, to make sure that food being sold to the public meets required standards.

Event checklist

This checklist is to help organisers of community events. Some of the things in this list may not be appropriate for every event, but using a checklist like this can help organisers plan ahead.