Outdoor seating

If you want to use a footpath or public property for outdoor seating for patrons of your bar, restaurant, café, club or gaming venue, you must apply to the Council for permission.

How to apply

Complete the application form and prepare the supporting information. Send it to us with the application fee.

Apply online

Or download the print form: Application for permission to use the footpath (1.53MB PDF)

Supporting information

You'll need to provide:

  • a scale plan of your proposal which clearly shows where your tables and chairs would be placed in relation to the kerb and the front of your premises (see the application form for more detail about what to show on your plan)
  • a certificate of insurance which shows that you hold Public Liability insurance of at least $1 million for any outdoor area you plan to use
  • a photo of the furniture you intend to use with your application for your new pavement permission form.

For more information about pavement lease rules or drawing a scale plan see: Supplementary footpath information (222KB PDF)

How to lodge your application

You can give us your application:

  • in person:
    Wellington City Council Service Centre, 12 Manners Street
  • by post:
    Public Health
    Wellington City Council
    PO Box 2199
    Wellington 6140
  • by email: foodapplications@wcc.govt.nz


Please note: The Council’s Pandemic Response Plan fee changes between March 2022 to February 2023 has ended.

If you would like to get in touch with someone from our team, please contact outdoordining@wcc.govt.nz

Lease fees

All fees include GST.

Item Fee
To apply for a new lease or change one you already have $236.00
To renew an existing lease
(pavement leases must be renewed on 31 August every year)


Smoke-free indoors is mandatory

The Smoke-free Environments Amendment Act 2003 requires hospitality venues (bars, clubs, restaurants, cafés, casinos and gaming machine venues) to be smoke-free indoors.

Smokefree and vapefree in hospitality venues from 1 March 2023

Wellington hospitality venues with outdoor dining on Council land are now smokefree and vapefree as of 1 March 2023.

This means if you have an outdoor dining area that extends onto the footpath, this area will now become smokefree and vapefree.

For more information, please see the Smokefree Wellington policy.

Clearly display your pavement permission

You must display your pavement permission next to the seating area so it can be viewed from outside your venue. All permissions have an aerial photograph clearly showing the allowable area.

Displaying your permission will help patrons, staff and enforcement agencies to:

  • keep pedestrian areas clear
  • make sure all venues and patrons comply with the central area liquor ban.

Central City Liquor Ban


All Pavement Permissions are issued for a period of one year (1 September to 31 August). Annual fees include the renewal fee and a lease charge for the space.

The Council will send you a reminder before the permission expires.

Contact us

If you would like to get in touch with someone from our team, please contact outdoordining@wcc.govt.nz

Please be aware that due to COVID-19, there will be some delays. The team are responding as fast as we can so, please bear with us. Thank you for your patience and understanding.