How it works
You don't need a food registration certificate to sell food at a sausage sizzle or other fundraiser (for example, a school fair) – as long as you operate fewer than 20 times a year.
If you want to sell food more than 20 times a year, you'll need to apply for a food registration certificate.
Safe sausage sizzles
Sausages must be fresh, good quality and ideally pre-cooked.
Before the event:
- Buy sausages from a reliable source, as close to the event as possible
- Store sausages in a clean fridge
- Do all preparation, including chopping onions and buttering bread
- Transport and store the sausages in chilly bins with ice packs
- Always keep food in clean covered containers to protect it from contamination by dust, animals, insects and people
During the event:
- Clearly display the name of the organisation running the sausage sizzle
- Have at least two people, preferably three, running the stall – one person should only handle money
- Food handlers must wear clean clothing, an apron, and their hair must be tied back or under a cap
- Wash hands and replace gloves often
- Do not prepare any other meat, including chicken
- Use suitable utensils, such as tongs, for handling food – do not touch the food with your hands
- Use different tongs for cooked and uncooked food
- Cook the sausages properly, so they are hot in the centre
- Serve food on single-serve serviettes or paper plates
- Do not leave large quantities of sausages in chilly bins for long periods – use a fridge as a back-up where possible
Where you can sell food
You can sell food as part of a fundraiser on any private property, as long as it is in a zone that permits commercial activities and you have the permission of the owner.
If you want to sell food as part of a fundraiser in a public space (for example, on road reserve, or in a park or sportsfield), you'll need to make an outdoor event booking request. We generally won't allow sales on a public road or footpath.
If you want to trade as part of a market or event, contact the organiser – they will deal with us on your behalf.
Organising an event
The Public Health team is available Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.
Phone: 04 499 4444