Ngā Whakaaetanga Petipeti
Gambling consents

To operate a gambling machine or gambling venue in Wellington City, you must apply for consent from the Council.

How it works

You need to apply for a gambling consent for a class 4 venue licence if you want to:

  • open a new venue where gaming machines are required
  • increase the number of gaming machines at an existing venue
  • start operating gaming machines that were not on the premises within the previous 6 months.

To get consent, you need either a current on-licence with a designation, or a club licence.

Alcohol licences

Once the gambling consent for a class 4 venue licence is granted, you need to apply for a gaming licence from the Department of Internal Affairs (DIA).

Gambling Venues Policy

Gaming venue zones

Wellington City is divided into seven gaming venue zones. View the maps below to find out which zone you are in and the maximum number of gaming machines allowed in each zone.

How to apply

1. Submit your application and pay the fee at the same time

Download and complete the form:

Gambling Consent (Class 4 Venue Licence) application (47KB PDF)

The application fee is $158.50.

Once you've submitted your application and paid the fee, the process usually takes up to 5 working days.

2. Apply for a gaming licence

Once you have received the gambling consent for a class 4 venue licence from the Council, you must apply for a gaming licence through the Department of Internal Affairs.

Casino and Non-Casino Gaming – Department of Internal Affairs

Need help?

The Public Health team is available Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.

Public Health
Phone: 04 499 4444