Using roads for events

You need to get permission to close a footpath or road for an event. Let us know if your event may affect traffic or if you’re planning a protest march or demonstration.

Notify the City Events team and Streets Activities team if you are organising an activity or event that may:

  • affect vehicle or pedestrian traffic
  • increase traffic to a specific area (concerts, sports)
  • require a road or footpath closure 
  • require signage next to a road.

City Events
Street Activities email:

Get permission to close a road or footpath

Any organisation, business or individual who is planning an activity that requires closure of a vehicle lane, parking area or footpath needs permission from the Council. This could apply to the following activities:

  • a parade, street celebration or cultural event
  • a race or run.

Complete our outdoor event booking form to request a road closure:

Request an event road closure

We take about 10 working days to process requests for simple closures. Complex closures can take much longer, depending on the scale of your event.

Fees may apply to recover administration and planning costs.

If you have any questions, email or phone the street activities coordinator on 04 499 4444.

Planning meeting

Once you have requested permission, a meeting is arranged with either the City Events team or Road Protection team to review any other requirements that are relevant to your event. These may include:

  • traffic and pedestrian management plans
  • emergency management plans
  • risk management issues
  • health and safety
  • public liability insurance. 

Protest marches and demonstrations 

If you are planning a protest march or demonstration in public places (for example, on a footpath or road corridor), we recommend you contact us and the Police on their non-emergency 105 phoneline with the details. This allows the Council and Police to make appropriate arrangements, provide you with further information, and make sure your event doesn’t clash with another planned event.  

Please email the Council at – it is helpful to provide the following details: 

  • organiser's name and details
  • anticipated number of participants
  • reason for the protest march or demonstration
  • where it’s starting from
  • where it’s finishing
  • the route of the march
  • date
  • start time
  • finish time.

Temporary traffic management

If you need to close a road, parking area or footpath, we encourage you to organise temporary traffic management. This is for the protection and safety of your protesters and the public. You will need to engage your own contractor who will work with the Council to gain permissions and approvals. Contact to discuss.

Contact us

Toby Acheson, Senior Advisor
Events, Logistics and Venues 

Street Activities
Wellington City Council

Phone: 04 499 4444


Postal address: PO Box 2199
Wellington 6140