Applying for a food registration certificate
Before you can sell food from a food stall in Wellington City, you need to apply for a food registration certificate. You should apply for your registration with the Council where you live or where you prepare food.
Depending on how your stall is set up, you might need to prepare food in a commercial kitchen.
You'll also need to provide:
- details and photos of the food you plan to make
- information about where the food will be prepared
- a plan of the stall to show how the equipment will be set up
- photographs and a list of equipment to be used in the stall
- details of how food will be transported to the event or market.
Apply for a food registration certificate
Once you have your food registration certificate and have started selling food, a Public Health officer will visit you to verify your food stall is safe and healthy.
Verification of your food business
Where you can sell food
Once your food stall is registered you can operate anywhere in New Zealand, as long as:
- you have landowner permission to use the site
- trading from that location fits with activities allowed in the District Plan.
Market or event
If you want to trade as part of a market or event, contact the organiser – they will deal with us on your behalf.
Trading around Wellington
There are sites where you may trade at our:
You will need to apply for permission and book a site. Sites are charged per day.
Booking a site
For enquiries about booking a site, contact the relevant locations team:
Beaches, parks and reserves
Waterfront (includes Civic Square, Frank Kitts Park, Odlins Plaza, Queens Wharf Square, Waitangi Park)
Food registration certificate
For enquiries about a food registration certificate, contact the Public Health team:
Phone: 04 499 4444