Check out our Before you visit section before dropping off your waste. You may be able to save some money and save space in Wellington's only remaining landfill.
The landfill includes general, green and hazardous waste disposal areas. Charges apply for most items.
You can drop off the following types of waste at this landfill:
Contaminated soil disposal
How to apply
Before you dispose of contaminated soil, you must complete the following checklist:
- fill in the Application for Disposal of Contaminated Soil Form
- submit the form along with the Preliminary Site Investigation (PSI) and Detailed Site Investigation (DSI), and TCLP test results if required.
Landfill staff need at least 4 days to process your application and prepare for your delivery.
Asbestos and special waste disposal
How to apply
If you want to dispose of substances that can endanger human health or the environment, such as asbestos or special waste (including abbatoir waste, sewage or polystyrene), you’ll need to get approval from the Operations Manager prior to disposal.
- fill in the relevant application form
- submit the form to the Southern Landfill team, at: email@example.com
Landfill staff need at least 48 hours to process your application and prepare for your delivery.
Refusal of entry
Under the waste bylaws, we can refuse entry to the landfill if a user is not complying our terms and conditions. For example:
- No one is to remove or disturb any deposit of waste or diverted material or remove any article or material of any kind from the landfill, unless the Council authorises them to do so. This includes recyclable materials.
- We have the right to refuse to accept certain types of waste.
- Owners and operators of vehicles should be aware that we may randomly audit their waste and waste containers whether carried in a vehicle, trailer, or by some other means.