Check out our Before you visit section before dropping off your waste. You may be able to save some money and save space in Wellington's only remaining landfill.
The landfill includes general, green and hazardous waste disposal areas. Charges may apply on certain items.
You can drop off the following types of waste at this landfill:
- general domestic and commercial waste
- car bodies, trailers and motorbikes
- clean fill (prior approval required)
- contaminated soil (see below for conditions and prior approval)
- dead animals
- electrical waste
- fridge / freezers and other kitchen appliances such as microwaves and dishwashers
- green waste
- household hazardous waste
- Myrtle Rust contaminated green waste
- paint tins
- polystyrene (prior approval required)
- sewage / toxic waste
- smoke alarms (notify landfill staff)
Commercial clean fill cover or capping materials
You need prior approval to dispose of clean fill cover or capping materials at the landfill. We'll need to issue you with a permit number before your delivery will be accepted.
To get approval, complete the application form above in full at least 48 hours before delivery so that there's no delay in processing your application.
Contaminated soil disposal
How to apply
Before you can dispose of substances at the landfill that can endanger human health, like contaminated soil, you must complete the following checklist:
- fill in the Application for Disposal of Contaminated Soil Form
- have the material tested (See Ministry for the Environment guidelines)
- attach the TCLP test results to your application form.
Landfill staff need at least 48 hours to process your application and prepare for your delivery.
Asbestos and special waste disposal
If you want to dispose of substances that can endanger human health, such as asbestos, complete one the following application forms.
Refusal of entry
Under the waste bylaws, we can refuse entry to the landfill if a user is not complying our terms and conditions. For example:
- No one is to remove or disturb any deposit of waste or diverted material or remove any article or material of any kind from the landfill, unless the Council authorises them to do so. This includes recyclable materials.
- We have the right to refuse to accept certain types of waste.
- Owners and operators of vehicles should be aware that we may randomly audit their waste and waste containers whether carried in a vehicle, trailer, or by some other means.