Selling food

If you want to sell food in Wellington City you need a food registration certificate.

COVID-19: Refunds for Hospitality Fees

Businesses can apply for a 25% refund for fees for food registrations and/or pavement leases paid between 1 July 2019 and 31 March 2020. 

Businesses that have paid full fees for alcohol licence renewals and/or food registrations and/or pavement leases after 1 April 2020 can apply for a refund.

Between 1 April and 30 June, applications to renew on and off licences, and alcohol annual fees, will be charged $1 plus the ARLA levy.

To apply for a refund use the Hospitality Registration and Licence Refunds form. Refunds will be processed within three weeks. 

COVID-19 update – Alert Level 1

Verification of food businesses
We will contact businesses individually to discuss making appointments for verifications. COVID-19 has meant that we have been unable to carry out verifications for two months. As a result some operations will be visited later than the due date. We will work through this backlog as quickly as we are able.