During construction, you will need to arrange for Council building officers to inspect the work that has been done to make sure it complies with the conditions of the building consent.

When to get an inspection

The inspections required for your project are listed in the building consent documentation issued by the Council.

You must keep the stamped copy of your approved building consent on the construction site so inspection officers can check it.

Types of building inspections

Pre-construction meeting

  • Remediation work or major projects

Building inspections

  • Site; location of the building on-site
  • Pre-pour, foundation/footings
  • Pre-pour, piles
  • Pre-pour, pre-slab
  • Retaining wall; before backfilling or covering tanking or field drain
  • Sub-floor framing
  • Pre-wrap
  • Pre-clad
  • Brick; at half height
  • Weathertight; before applying coating to cladding (post-clad)
  • Pre-line
  • Pre-line; acoustic
  • Post-line; bracing
  • Post-line; fire
  • Post-line; wet area membranes
  • Post-line; acoustic

Roofing inspections

  • Membrane; membrane upstands – before concealing behind any wall linings
    or under flashings
  • Post-wrap; purlins and wrap in place
  • Final building

Plumbing inspections

  • Drainage; surface water, foul water
  • Pre-slab; drainage in or under slab or floor
  • Pre-line; plumbing

Final plumbing 

Additional inspections

Here are examples of when additional inspections may be needed.

Our original building consent asks for… Additional inspection example
1 foundation inspection for the building When building a new house on a hillside, the contractor may determine a foundation inspection is needed for each floor level
1 re-clad inspection Extreme weather may mean the contractor can’t finish all work needed for the inspector to see everything in one visit. To avoid exposing the whole building to the weather, the contractor may ask for several inspections for parts of the building.
1 pre-line inspection A contractor may work in different rooms or floors at different times. They may ask for inspections for each area so they can complete sections, rather than inspect all the lining at once.

During the inspection process, additional inspections may be needed in these cases.

Situation Outcome
As a result of the inspection process, the inspector may decide additional inspections are needed to review certain conditions. The additional inspections highlighted by the inspector will need to be undertaken.
If inspections have failed because work hasn’t been done correctly. Re-inspections may be needed.
If no-one is on-site for your booked inspection, or if there are no Council-approved plans on-site for us to view. We need to come back to do the inspection. We charge for the first visit.

When the final fees are paid, we issue a code compliance certificate.

Book an inspection

To book an inspection, phone the Building Inspections team on 04 801 3813.
Please note that at least 2 working days notice is required.

Note: We can't guarantee an inspector will be available within 48 hours. To prevent a possible delay to your project make your inspection bookings as soon as you can.

Appointment times available:

Monday - Friday:  8am - 12 noon and 1pm - 4pm

Information to provide when booking:

  • Wellington City Council service request number (SR number)
  • address of property where the building work is being done
  • type of inspection required
  • name and phone number of site contact person.

In the case of Restricted building work, you need to advise the Council of the licensed building practitioners (LBP) who have been involved in the work. If the inspectors turn up and find that the Council hasn’t been advised, the inspectors may not carry out the inspection, but you may still be charged for it.

Book a final inspection

Before a final inspection, you must complete a Code Compliance Certificate application.

Failing an inspection

If any building or plumbing work does not conform to the building consent or meet building code performance standards, the Council may issue a Notice to Fix detailing items of non-compliance.

Producer statements

A producer statement is a written statement by an architect or other professional that the work they have done is up to the required standard.

The Council only accepts producer statements for water pipe testing. (This does not cover stacks, waste pipes or drains.) All other work must be inspected by a Council officer.

Plumbing producer statements

The water pipe test must be completed by a certifying plumber. Check Public Register - Plumbers, Gasfitters and Drainlayers Board for current, certified providers,

Pre-line plumbing inspection

After the test, the plumber should phone the Council's Building Inspections team on (04) 801 3813 to book a pre-line plumbing inspection.



    Producer Statement (Plumbing) (125KB PDF)

    When the plumbing work is finished, the plumber needs to complete a Producer Statement (Plumbing) form.

    This form can be:

    • given to the inspector
    • kept on site with the consent documents
    • sent in to the Council.

    More information

    Building Compliance and Consents 
    Phone: 04 801 4311
    Postal address: PO Box 2199, Wellington
    Street address: 12 Manners Street, Wellington