While building work is under way

What you need to do while building work is happening.

Let us know when building work starts

Because building consents lapse if work hasn't started within 12 months, you need to let us know when building work is ready to begin.

Phone 04 801 4311 or email bcc@wcc.govt.nz. You'll need your building consent number and address.

Make sure building inspections are carried out

As the building owner, you're responsible for ensuring all the inspections that are listed on your building consent approval letter are undertaken.

Building inspections

Collect documents from your tradespeople

You'll need to collect certain documents from your tradespeople for your code compliance certificate application.

Documents and certificates to collect

If your building plans change

If you want to change your plans after your building consent has been approved, you need to let us know. You may also need to amend your building consent.

Making a change to your building consent

If you no longer wish to do the work

If you have not yet started any building work and you do not intend to proceed with the work, you'll need to let us know. We will then lapse your consent on the 12-month anniversary of building consent issue date.

Once lapsed, you will need to apply for and obtain a new Building Consent before any work can be carried out. 

Email bcc@wcc.govt.nz to request your consent to be lapsed. A lapsing fee may apply, and any unused fees will be refunded.