Building consents

Find out how to apply for a building consent, the Council inspection process, and how to apply for a code compliance certificate when the project is finished.

Change of use

When changing the use of a building, you are required to notify the council under the Building Act 2...

    Pre-application meetings

    If you are working on a large or complex project, you may need to have a pre-application meeting wit...


      Forms and guidance on how to apply for a building consent.

      Restricted building work

      Only licensed building practitioners are allowed to carry out or supervise certain types of building...

        Quality assurance and building consents

        This information is for building owners, building contractors, architects and designers to develop q...


          During construction, you will need to arrange for Council building officers to inspect the work that...

            Building warrant of fitness

            Properties require a building warrant of fitness (BWoF) for systems like residential cable cars, lifts and fire alarms.

              Code Compliance Certificate

              A Code Compliance Certificate is issued when a job is finished and the Council is satisfied building...

                Alterations to existing buildings

                Extra conditions apply when submitting a consent that alters an existing building.

                  Extension of a specified life

                  How to get an 'extension of life' for a building with a specified intended life.


                    You can apply to the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) for a determination.


                      How to register a complaint about a building consent.

                        Certificate of Acceptance

                        A Certificate of Acceptance provides limited assurance in certain situations that the Council has in...

                          Certificate for Public Use

                          A Certificate for Public Use allows premises affected by building work to be used by the public.

                            Pool fencing

                            You must have a fence around a swimming pool on your property.