We’ve recently made changes to the LeisureCard to ensure it reaches the people who need it the most – we are extending eligibility and partnering with organisations that work closely with Wellingtonians in need.
The card helps people access Wellington City Council-owned pools, gyms and recreational facilities when price might otherwise be a barrier.
You can continue to qualify for the card if you are a Wellington city resident and if you meet one or more of the following criteria:
- You are a Community Services Card holder (includes people who have a SuperGold+CSC ‘Combo Card’).
- You have a permanent disability.
- You are on the green prescription (GRx) scheme.
- You are a Wellington City Council Housing, community housing or Housing NZ tenant.
- You are settling in New Zealand for the first time with help from the Red Cross or Changemakers.
If you don’t meet the above criteria, you may still be entitled to a discount at our facilities if:
- You are a SuperGold Card holder (20% discount at WCC pools and recreation centres).
- You are a tertiary student and have a valid student ID (20% discount at WCC pools and recreation centres).
- You are a Community Services Card holder who has chosen not to apply for a LeisureCard or who lives outside of Wellington City (20% discount at WCC pools and recreation centres, swimming lessons, and recreation centre programmes).
The LeisureCard will give you access to the following discounts at Wellington City Council facilities:
- Wellington pools – 50% discount on entry, including spa and sauna, and 20% discount on swimming lessons and Club Active fitness centre memberships (excludes Khandallah Summer Pool)
- Wellington recreation centres – 50% discount on entry and up to 20% discount on programmes
- Wellington City Libraries – 50% discount on all reserves, CD and DVD loans. Excludes items from the Select: Sound & Vision Collection.
Who can use my LeisureCard?
If a LeisureCard is issued using the Green Prescription, Permanent Disability or to a child on a Community Services Card, only the card holder is eligible to use the card for a discount.
All other LeisureCard holders and family or whanau living in the same household are eligible to a discount. The LeisureCard holder must be present for the family discount entitlement to apply.
Apply for or renew a LeisureCard
Check that you have proof of eligibility
To apply or to renew your LeisureCard, you must show proof that you are a Wellington city resident.
- This could be a recent utility bill or bank statement, dated within the last 6 months, that shows your name and address. You can cut off the top of the bill and show us that.
You will also need to provide ONE of the following:
- a photocopy of both sides of your Community Services or SuperGold+CSC ‘Combo Card’
- a Green Prescription referral
- a recent letter from Work and Income, dated within the last 6 months, that shows your name, address and client number
- a letter from your health professional stating that you have a permanent disability or long term health condition
- proof of City Housing tenancy, for example proof of your address like the one above
- proof of community housing tenancy (through Housing New Zealand or another Community Housing Provider)
- written correspondence from the Red Cross or Changemakers regarding your settlement in New Zealand.
If you’re applying for the first time, we’ll also need a photo of your head and shoulders. You can take this yourself or we can take one for you at any Wellington City Council swimming pool, the Arapaki library and service centre on Manners Street, or Smart Newtown next to Newtown Library.
All eligibility proof can be free posted to us (see form) or emailed to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you have a permanent disability?
People with a permanent disability are eligible for lifelong Leisure Card membership and only need to apply once.
Complete the form
Apply or renew online
Or you can print this form, complete it and send it in to us.
Enrolment forms are also available at libraries, pools, and recreation centres.
Using the LeisureCard
You can use the LeisureCard as many times as you want. The card is valid for two years. After that, if your circumstances have not changed, you can easily renew it at one of our facilities, just bring along refreshed proof that you are eligible. We don't need a new photo.
If you've lost your LeisureCard, contact the LeisureCard coordinator.