How to pay
New registration - After you register your dog for the first time with Wellington City Council, we will email you the payment details. You can then pay online.
Re-registration - Pay online to re-register your dog when you receive your invoice from Wellington City Council in May / June.
Pay a re-registration fee (one dog)
Pay a re-registration fee (multiple dogs)
You'll need to provide your Dog ID Number, which you can find on the top left of your re-registration invoice.
Pay in person
You can pay your dog registration fees using cash, EFTPOS or Amex, Visa or Mastercard at:
- the Council's Service Centre, 12 Manners Street (8am to 5pm, Monday - Friday; closed public holidays)
- 73 Moa Point, Wellington (3pm to 5pm, Monday - Friday; 10am to 11am, Saturday; closed public holidays)
If you are re-registering your dog you can also pay at any Post Shop (bring your barcoded invoice, no credit card payments).
Late payment surcharge
An additional 50 percent surcharge applies to fees paid on or after 1 August.
Keeping your RDO discount
Responsible dog owners (RDO) must pay fees by 31 July to maintain their RDO status. If you don't pay your fee on time, you lose your RDO status and your discount.
How your fees are used
Registration fees are used to maintain a safe and healthy environment for residents, dog owners and their pets. The Council does not profit from dog fees.
Fees pay for:
- facilities and maintenance of dog exercise areas
- signs and advertising about dog bylaws
- education programmes and campaigns in schools, community groups and businesses
- dog control, including law enforcement, and attending to complaints and incidents
- administering the animal shelter at Moa Point
- administering the dog shelter.