Tono i tētahi raihana whakahīkoi kurī ā-arumoni
Apply for a commercial dog walking licence

We want to ensure professional dog walkers understand their responsibilities to public safety, native wildlife, and the environment.

Man walking six greyhounds along Oriental Parade, Wellington.  One of the dogs is wearing a green, yellow and white striped jersey.

You are considered a commercial or professional dog walker if you walk or train dogs in exchange for money as a business. You will need a licence to operate in public spaces.

What you need to get a licence

To get your commercial dog walking licence, you will need to:

  • submit an application form and pay your fee
  • attend a mandatory animal services course and supply us with a certificate of completion
  • be assessed by an animal control officer after you have received your licence
  • supply a current public liability insurance certificate.

Animal services course

Public liability insurance certificate

Licence renewal

Dog walking and training locations

You can walk dogs almost anywhere. Check our dog walking and exercising areas below.

As parks, reserves and beaches are places where people enjoy the outdoors and attend events, there may be times when you need to change where you walk or train your dogs. When required, please follow requests from our staff.

Dog walking restrictions

Some of our parks and gardens have restrictions.

Wellington Town Belt

Botanic Garden/Bolton Street

Ōtari-Wilton's Bush


You will need to pay an application processing fee and an annual renewal fee.

  • Application fee: $191.50 including GST (includes course fees and assessment fees)
  • Annual renewal fee: $61.00 including GST

Apply for a licence

Apply online


Contact us

If you have any questions about professional dog walking, contact us using the details below.

Public Health Operations and Innovation Team
Wellington City Council

Phone: 04 499 4444