Pay your rates online
You can pay your rates with your Visa or MasterCard card online.
Pay your rates online
- Account number - You will need your rates account number from your quarterly Rates Invoice.
- Online convenience fee - A convenience fee of 2.1 percent per transaction is charged for this service. There is a minimum fee of $3. Wellington City Council does not receive any part of this fee.
- Allow processing time - Be sure to allow time before your instalment due date for processing the transaction. If you make your payment before 10.30pm, the payment will appear in your Wellington City Council rate account on the following business day. Transactions after 10.30pm will appear after two business days.
- Terms and conditions - By paying your rates online you accept and agree to be bound by the Online Transactions Terms and Conditions.
You can arrange to pay your rates and water by direct debit from your bank account on either weekly, fortnightly, monthly or quarterly instalments. If there are any changes to your rates amounts owing, they will be adjusted automatically - you do not have to visit the bank to make the change.
Online Direct Debit Form
When there is a change in property ownership and you have a direct debit operating, we must cancel the direct debit. To get the direct debit cancelled, contact the Council's Rates and Billing Services team.
If you sell your property and purchase a new one, you must arrange a new direct debit. As the existing direct debit is an agreement on the property (not the person), this will not be automatically transferred to your new property. To arrange a new direct debit authority, either use the form above or contact the Council's Rates and Billing Services team.
Rates and Billing Services team
Internet or telephone banking
You can use internet or telephone banking to pay your rates. To make arrangements for either of these options:
- identify “Wellington City Council” as the creditor
- specify your rate account number (seven-digit number shown on the top-right corner of your Assessment Notice).
Wellington City Council should already be set up as a bill payee with your bank. You do not need to quote our bank account number just quote “Wellington City Council”. When prompted to add a reference / account number please show “RT” followed by your seven digit rate account number (this number can be located on your rates assessment notice, rates invoice or from the Rates Property Search).
If you sell your property and purchase another, you will need to change the reference used to that of your new rate account number.
Paying rates at the Council's Service Centre
You can pay your rates in person with cash, cheque or EFTPOS at the Council's Service Centre, 12 Manners Street or your local PostShop.
Use the PostShop locator to find your nearest branch, details of opening hours and services offered.
PostShop Locator - New Zealand Post
You can post a cheque payment to:
Wellington City Council
PO Box 24344
12 Manners Street
Please enclose the remittance advice with your cheque to ensure payment is allocated to the correct property. Do not post cash.
Receipts will not be issued unless they are specifically requested.
Pay rates in full
Ratepayers are welcome to pay their full year's rates in one lump sum. The amount due for this option is detailed on the invoice as the balance to 30 June (includes any outstanding rates and penalties).
A 10% penalty will be added to any amount of the current instalment remaining unpaid after the due date.
An additional charge of 10% will be added on 1 July and 1 January to rates that remain unpaid from previous years.