Build a retaining wall

Below are Council consents, services and fees that you may need to know about as part of your project to build a retaining wall:

Council land

If you want to do any work on or affecting Council land, you will need to get permission first.

If you are not sure whether your land joins on to Council land and/or where the boundaries are, you may need to employ a surveyor or property lawyer to find this information.

The table below outlines a range of options available for the use of Council land.

If you want to: Phone (04) 499 4444 and ask for:
Buy Council land Property Projects team

Lease Council land

  • Legal road
  • Reserve land
  • Other land


  • Encroachments team
  • Property Management team
  • Property Management team
Install services through Council land Property Projects team
Close the road temporarily Roading team
Establish access through Council land Property Projects team
Remove vegetation on Council land Customer Liaison Officer, Trees team

Building consent

All building works must comply with the Building Act to make sure that they are built safely and to an appropriate standard.

To find out whether your project will require building consent:

Fees Building Consent Fees
Time frame

We process building consents within 20 working days.

This time frame may be affected if the application:

  • is incomplete
  • does not include all the right information.
More information Building Consent - Guidelines

Vehicle access approval

Perhaps you want to do work on new or existing kerb crossings or driveways on road land? If so, you will need vehicle access approval.

When applying for this approval, you will need to provide a range of information including gradients, camber, widths and surfacing.

Vehicle Access Application Form (80KB PDF)

For more information or help with the application:

  • talk to one of our vehicle access engineers - phone (04) 499 4444 between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday
  • engage a professional to help you - this can be a draughtsman, architect or engineer.
Fees Building Consent Fees
Time frame

If your application is submitted as part of a building consent, we will assess vehicle access at the same time.

If your application is made separately, we aim to process it within 20 working days.

More information Building Consents