Hiring professionals and tradespeople

Find out about hiring qualified people to carry out design and building work.

Who can do restricted building work

Restricted building work is design or construction work that's critical to the integrity of a building. 

It includes the design and construction of:

  • the primary structure (for example, foundations and framing) – to make sure the building can withstand vertical and horizontal loads
  • the external envelope (for example, roofing and cladding) – to make sure the building is weather-tight.

If you’re doing restricted building work, the work must be done by a licensed building practitioner (LBP), unless you meet the criteria for an owner-builder exemption.

Definitions of restricted work

Finding licensed building practitioners (LBPs)

Finding other tradespeople

Depending on your project, you may also need to hire a registered electrician, plumber, gasfitter or drainlayer.

Your lead contractor will often manage hiring subcontractors (like electricians and plumbers) themselves.

Choosing a building practitioner – Building Performance

Hiring a builder or a tradesperson – Consumer protection

If you want to do restricted building work yourself

You may be able to do restricted building work on your home yourself if you meet the criteria for an owner-builder exemption. 

Doing building work yourself

Contact us

The Building Compliance and Consents team is available Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm.

If you have a Building Compliance and Consent related query, you can submit it through our online form:

Send a query

Phone: 04 801 4311

Email: bcc@wcc.govt.nz