Before you start your project

You must check if you need a building consent before work starts.

A building consent confirms that proposed building work complies with the Building Code. This means that it meets the safety standards etc as set out in the Building Act 2004.

You must check about getting a building consent before work starts.

Check if you need consents – Building Performance


Some work can be done without a building consent, but it still needs to meet the Building Code:

Building work that does not require a building consent – Building Performance

Consents required for common projects

Find out what kinds of consents are required for your building project (it’s often more than a building consent):

You will also need a building consent for these projects:

  • accessory buildings (sheds, granny flats etc)
  • additions
  • demolition or relocation of existing structures
  • fences higher than 2.5m and pool fences
  • ventilation and air-conditioning systems
  • plumbing and drainage
  • re-piling
  • site works for a building
  • swimming pools and large tanks (such as water tanks).


Wellington Building Guide 2015 (5.2MB PDF)

Building guide

This guide explains the home building process, including developing a project brief, choosing a designer, resource and building consents, construction and more. 

To order your guide and for more information visit

Location map.



Building Compliance and Consents
Wellington City Council

Phone 04 801 4311
Postal Address PO Box 2199
Wellington 6140
Street Address 12 Manners Street
Wellington 6011
Monday – Friday:

8.00am – 5pm

Public holidays: