- The official containers for recycling are:
- for glass only - the official Council 45-litre green crates
- for other recyclable material - either the Wellington City Council black and yellow 140-litre wheelie bin or the Council's 70-litre green plastic bags.
- Only appropriate recyclable materials will be collected.
- The maximum weight for the contents in a recycling bag is 10kg, or green crate is 15 kilograms.
- For health and safety reasons, the 45-litre crates must not be filled with glass above the top edge. If they are, they will not be collected.
- Glass and other recyclables will be collected on alternate weeks as specified for each area.
- The official recycling containers must be on the kerb within specific times and:
- either on a public street and in a way that doesn't obstruct a carriageway in front of the associated property if practical
- or at a specific location as set by the Council.
- The Council can declare some streets or locations unsafe for recycling collection. Phone (04) 499 4444 for more information.
- The Council may withdraw services to residents who do not comply with the conditions.
For more detailed information, refer to:
Controls for the Solid Waste Management and Minimisation Bylaw 2020