Tips and trade waste consents

Businesses that produce oil, grease or other liquid waste may need to have a trade waste consent.

Tips for handling waste

Look through the following resources for practical advice and information on managing your business's trade waste:

To find out more about getting your waste collected and approved Council contractors, go to:

Liquid Waste Transportation

Trade waste consent evaluation

Trade waste is controlled by laws to help protect drainage system treatment plants, which are essential city assets.

If your business is producing more liquid waste than that of a large household, you may need a trade waste consent.

The Council grants consents on a case-by-case basis. Call the Council to discuss your situation with the Trade Waste Officer.

If it sounds like your business may need a consent, the Officer will assess your situation by looking at site plans, and the type and volume of liquid waste. Chemical analysis may also be involved. The Council officer's evaluation will show whether or not you need a consent.

The decision as to whether a consent is needed can take 20 working days. However, assessment and evaluation of the conditions to be set up for a consent can take a number of months. Temporary consents may be granted in such cases.

Apply for a consent

To apply for a consent, complete the following form and return it to the Trade Waste Officer:

Trade Waste Consent Application (104KB PDF)

All enquiries should go to the Trade Waste Officer:

Contact us

The Public Health team is available Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.

Public Health

Phone: 04 499 4444