The Council has several long-term strategies that guide the city's growth and development:
- Wellington Towards 2040: Smart Capital - sets an overarching vision to guide the development of the city over the next 30 years.
Wellington Towards 2040: Smart Capital
- The Spatial Plan - is a growth strategy for our city that sets out a plan of action for where and how we should grow and develop over the next 30 years.
A Spatial Plan for Wellington City
- Housing Strategy - this sets out our approach to addressing the city’s housing challenges and meeting our vision: "All Wellingtonians well housed".
Plans and policies
The Council also has plans and policies that provide an integrated approach towards planning for Wellington's growth needs. These include:
- Centres Policy - a framework to guide the development and management of the city's network of centres.
- Centre Plans - specific place-based plans developed for the city's key growth areas and major centres including, for example, the central city, Johnsonville, Kilbirnie and Adelaide Road.
- District Plan - regulatory framework for managing land use in Wellington city through the use of zones.
- Waterfront Framework - guides the development of the city's central waterfront area into a world-class waterfront.
- Waterfront Design Guides:
- Code of Practice for Land Development - provides the minimum standards for infrastructure such as earthworks, roading, water and drainage when developing land.
Code of Practice for Land Development
- Long-term Plan - sets out what the Council will be doing over the next 10 years to progress the goals set out in our 2040 vision document.