Wellington is also the country's cultural capital and the third most populous urban area in New Zealand.
The city is home to:
- many museums, including Te Papa Tongarewa (the Museum of New Zealand)
- the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra
- the Royal New Zealand Ballet
- the biennial Festival of the Arts.
The city is situated alongside Wellington Harbour and surrounded by natural beauty, including Zealandia, an award-winning eco-attraction just minutes from the central business district.
Wellington is also:
- a leading centre for creative industries, such as film and computer technology
- registered with UNICEF as a child-friendly city
- the home of the New Zealand Stock Exchange (NZX).