Council payments process
Information on the Council's accounts payable process.
Wellington City Council has an automated payment process – this makes getting paid on time easy.
Before you start your invoice
- Make sure you receive a purchase order number from your Council contact when the purchase is confirmed.
- If it is a tax invoice, make sure it complies with the IR requirements for a tax invoice.
- If you have recently made any changes to your details (eg GST, address, bank account), or to your invoice format (eg changed from MYOB to Xero) – notify us at email@example.com as soon as possible so we can update our records. If your details do not match our records, this could delay payment of your invoice.
Preparing your invoice
- Include the correct purchase order number on the invoice. Purchase order numbers start with a P and are followed by 7 digits, eg P1234567
- Only use one purchase order number per invoice.
- On the invoice, address it to Wellington City Council, PO Box 682, Wellington 6140.
Sending your invoice
- By email: Attach your invoice as a PDF to a plain text email (ie use standard fonts, and do not send other attachments, images, logos, or hyperlinks), and email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By post: Send your invoice to: Wellington City Council, PO Box 682, Wellington 6140
Payment of your invoice
After receiving your invoice, it will be matched against our records and then processed for payment as per the agreed payment terms. See our standard terms of trade.
If the purchase order number or any other required information is missing, you will receive an automated email requesting that this information is provided. If no email address has been provided, we will contact you by phone or letter.
Find out about selling your products to the Council, including our trade terms and supply arrangements.