Building consent search service

You can request copies of all the building permits and completed building consents we hold for a specific residential or commercial property using this service.

When to use this service

The permits and consents, which usually include plans, can be useful if:

  • you are buying and selling
  • renovating or altering a property
  • planning to do earthquake-strengthening work
  • assessing a building for weather-tight compliance issues.

How this differs from what's provided in a LIM

  • These documents are not included in a Land Information Memorandum (LIM) or any of the other property reports available from the Council. LIMs include a list of permits and consents but not the documents themselves.

Request a search

To make a request, please fill out building consent search form.

We will double-check we have building permits and consents for the property, email to advise, and then provide a link so you can pay online.

The permits or consents will be scanned and emailed to you. Or, we can put the files on a CD that we can post, or you can arrange to collect.

Time frame

We will acknowledge your request within 1 working day of receiving it.

When we can confirm we've received payment - and if your request is for a residential property - we'll turn around your request in 3 working days. Requests for commercial properties may take longer, depending on the volume of information we hold and what's requested.

The information available

This service provides copies of all the building permits and/or completed building consents we hold. The information in these varies, and might include:

  • completed consent application forms
  • drainage plans relating to consented work
  • copies of plans and specifications
  • code compliance certificates
  • Project Information Memoranda (PIMs)

We can't guarantee that we'll include the information you require.

Incomplete building consents

The service doesn't provide information relating to building consents that are current or incomplete. Contact our Building Consents and Compliance team if you need:

  • access to building consents that are not completed
  • advice about applying for building consents or the consent process
  • current property information (for example regarding subdivision, resource consents).

Building Consents and Compliance

Phone 04 499 4444
Drop in Service Centre, Wellington City Council Offices, 12 Manners Street

Drainage records

If you only want to access drainage information, you can view a general map showing water and drainage using the Council's WebMap: Water and Drainage - WebMap

To request more specific drainage information, contact the Council's Service Centre.

State housing records

If your request is about a state house or ex-state house, the amount of information we hold is likely to be limited. We are happy to check, but suggest you also contact Housing New Zealand.

Large government-built works

We hold information on some large government buildings (built before 1991), but not others. We can take a look but you may need to contact Archives New Zealand.


Residential property request $55
Commercial property request (first 10 items) $125
Additional commercial property items (per item) $25 
Special rates for students with ID for a registered course
Residential or commercial request (limit as above) $30
Single item request (conditions apply) $10

More information

Location map.



Wellington City Archives

Phone 04 801 2096
Postal Address Wellington City Archives
PO Box 2199
Wellington 6140
Street Address 28 Barker Street (off Cambridge Terrace)
Wellington 6011
Monday – Friday:

8.30am – 5pm