Development contributions

New residential accommodation and commercial, retail or industrial space incur a development contribution fee.

Construction of high-rise building.

Development contributions help reduce the impact that new developments have on infrastructure and demand for Council services such as water supply and waste water or community infrastructure.

Examples of projects that might require a development contribution include:

  • new apartments in old buildings
  • flats under houses
  • studio accommodation
  • granny flats
  • retail space
  • commercial premises
  • office accommodation
  • warehouse buildings.

Development contributions areas

Assessment, fees and exemptions

Council staff will work out the exact amount payable when your development is assessed for its building consent, resource consent or service connection.

The fees are calculated based on the number of equivalent household units (EHUs) created by the project.

Pay a property fee

For more information, refer to our policy: Development Contributions Policy

When a fee is not due

Development contributions may not be required if:

  • the Council has imposed a condition for a financial contribution (known as a DIF) on a resource consent for the same purpose
  • the developer will be providing for network infrastructure upgrades or reserves in agreement with the Council
  • the Council receives funding from a third party.

Contest your assessment

If you want to contest the Council's assessment, refer to sections 2.5.5 and 2.6 of the Development Contributions Policy (see above).

More information

Resource Consents
Phone: 04 803 8759
Postal address: PO Box 2199, Wellington 6140
Street address: 113 The Terrace, Wellington 6011