Strengthening unreinforced masonry (URM) buildings

Strengthening unreinforced masonry (URM) is a priority over the next year as we continue to support Wellington becoming a resilient city.


Due to the increased risk of earthquakes following the Hurunui/Kaikōura earthquake on November 2016 the Ministry of Business Innovation & Employment (MBIE) set up an initiative to improve the seismic performance of unreinforced masonry buildings (URM) in high-risk areas, including Wellington. The initiative requires building owners of certain buildings to take action to secure unreinforced masonry parapets and facades by March 2018.

The buildings are those with street facing parapets and facades on busy, high-traffic areas (pedestrian or vehicles) that are vulnerable in an earthquake.

To assist with the urgency of this work, Wellington City Council will contribute $1 million and the Government $2 million. This $3 million fund will contribute up to $15,000 for a URM facade, and $10,000 for a URM parapet. The remaining costs are to be funded by the building owner. 

This amendment to the building act was passed Tuesday 28 February 2017 under an Order in Council (OIC).

For building owners

In March 2017 building owners with a property that meets the URM criteria received official notification from Council and a support pack on how to go about this work.  Owners have one year (till March 2018) to get their URM parapets and/or URM facades secured or strengthened. Please see the toolkit below for how to go about this.

If you think you should have received a letter from the Council and haven’t, email

Help finding an engineer

Finding a qualified engineer has been a challenge for some people across the city. To help make this easier we’ve created a list of Chartered Professional Engineers.

If you’d like to meet with someone in the URM team at Wellington City Council to discuss your building and the process to go about getting it secured or strengthened, email us at We can give you advice on the process and if you need specialist advice, point you to the right people.

Frequently asked questions

What is an unreinforced masonry building?

What is a parapet?

Why is this happening?

Why is this being done?

How will the buildings be identified and owners contacted?

What is the criteria for identifying these buildings?

When will building owners be contacted / How can I find out if my building is affected?

What Wellington streets have been identified as in scope?

When does the reinforcement work have to be completed?

Why is this work being subsidised?

How much financial support will I get and how do I access this fund?

I think I lease an unreinforced masonry building, who should I contact?