How it works
A coupon parking exemption permit allows you to park in coupon parking spaces in your area – you can't park in resident parking spaces.
Find out if you can apply
How to apply
Once you've submitted your application, the process takes up to 10 working days. It may take longer if your application is incomplete and we need to ask for more information.
Note: Your permit is not valid until you've received an email from us approving your application.
1. Before you start your application
As part of your application you will need to provide proof of your address.
We can accept:
- a full copy of a current tenancy agreement with your name and address on it signed by all parties within the last 12 months
- a copy of a letter from the owner of the property stating that you are a tenant signed within the last 12 months
- a full utility bill (electricity/gas or landline/broadband) with your name and address on it that is no more than 3 months old
- a letter from Tenancy Services confirming the lodgement of bond at the property that is no more than 3 months old
- if you have just purchased the property, a copy of the sales agreement confirming the vendors, new homeowners and settlement date.
We can't accept:
- a bond lodgement form
- a change of tenant form
- a cellphone bill
- a rates bill.
Your vehicle must have a current warrant of fitness and vehicle licence (rego).
If you don't own the vehicle
If you don’t own the vehicle, you must supply a signed and dated letter from the owner authorising you to use it.
You must also explain in writing your connection to the owner and provide a valid reason why you are going to be the main driver of the vehicle.
If your vehicle is registered to a different address
If your vehicle is not registered to the same address as your application, you can change your address online.
Check/update your contact details – NZ Transport Agency
2. Complete the form and pay the fee
Fill in our online form and pay with your credit card.
Apply for a permit
In person or by post
Download and fill in the paper form.
Application for a coupon parking exemption permit (73KB PDF)
You can submit and pay for your application in person or by post.
You can submit your application and pay the fee at our Service Centre between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday. You don't need an appointment.
Enclose a cheque or fill in the credit card authorisation on the back of the application form.
Wellington City Council
PO Box 2199
These fees are non-refundable. Your permit is valid from the day your application is approved.
| Permit fees
| 3-month coupon exemption permit
| 12-month coupon exemption permit
3. After you've submitted your application
Once we receive your application, we will email you within 10 working days to let you know the result of your application. If you are successful, we will post the permit to you.
Note: You must wait until you've received this approval email before parking in coupon parking spaces.
4. When your permit arrives
Display your permit inside the front windscreen on the passenger side of the vehicle. We may review your application at any time to make sure it still meets the criteria.
You can phone our Contact Centre any time on 04 499 4444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org