Build a garage

Below are Council consents, services and fees that you may need to know about as part of your garage-building project:

Council land

If you want to do any work on or affecting Council land, you will need to get permission first.

If you are not sure whether your land joins on to Council land and/or where the boundaries are, you may need to employ a surveyor or property lawyer to find this information.

This table outlines options for using Council land.

If you want to: Phone (04) 499 4444 and ask for:
Buy Council land Property Projects team

Lease Council land

  • Legal road
  • Reserve land
  • Other land


  • Encroachments team
  • Property Management team
  • Property Management team
Install services through Council land Property Projects team
Close the road temporarily Roading team
Establish access through Council land Property Projects team
Remove vegetation on Council land Customer Liaison Officer, Trees team

Resource consent

If your project does not comply with the rules of the District Plan, you will need to apply for resource consent.

To find out if your project complies:

  • engage a professional to help you - this could be a planning consultant, architect or draughtsman
  • talk to a Council planning technician - phone (04) 801 3590 between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Fees Resource Consents - fees

We will process a straightforward consent within 20 working days.

This tim frame may be affected if:

  • the project is complex
  • other parties are affected by the proposal
  • the application does not include the right information.
More information

Get a building consent

Fill out an application for building consent (965KB PDF), and check out the guide to completing the building consent application form (1.17MB PDF).

Building consent

All building works must comply with the Building Act to make sure that they are built safely and to an appropriate standard.

To find out whether your project will require building consent:

Fees Building Consent Fees
Time frame

We process building consents within 20 working days.

This time frame may be affected if the application:

  • is incomplete
  • does not include all the right information.
More information Building Consent - Guidelines

Vehicle access approval

Perhaps you want to do work on new or existing kerb crossings or driveways on road land? If so, you will need vehicle access approval.

When applying for this approval, you will need to provide a range of information including gradients, camber, widths and surfacing.

Vehicle Access Application Form (80KB PDF)

For more information or help with the application:

  • talk to one of our vehicle access engineers - phone (04) 499 4444 between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday
  • engage a professional to help you - this can be a draughtsman, architect or engineer.
Fees Building Consent Fees
Time frame

If your application is submitted as part of a building consent, we will assess vehicle access at the same time.

If your application is made separately, we aim to process it within 20 working days.

More information Building Consents