Build a deck

Below are Council consents, services and fees that you may need to know about as part of your deck-building project:

Council land

If you want to do any work on or affecting Council land, you will need to get permission first.

If you are not sure whether your land joins on to Council land and/or where the boundaries are, you may need to employ a surveyor or property lawyer to find this information.

The table below outlines a range of options available for the use of Council land.

If you want to: Phone 04 499 4444 and ask for:
Buy Council land Property Projects team

Lease Council land

  • Legal road
  • Reserve land
  • Other land


  • Encroachments team
  • Property Management team
  • Property Management team
Install services through Council land Property Projects team
Close the road temporarily Roading team
Establish access through Council land Property Projects team
Remove vegetation on Council land Customer Liaison Officer, Trees team

Resource consent

If your project does not comply with the rules of the District Plan, you will need to apply for resource consent.

To find out if your project complies:

  • engage a professional to help you - this could be a planning consultant, architect or draughtsman
  • talk to a Council planning technician - phone 04 801 3590 between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Fees Resource consents fees
Time frame

We will process a straightforward consent within 20 working days.

This time frame may be affected if:

  • the project is complex
  • other parties are affected by the proposal
  • the application does not include the right information.
More information

Get a building consent

Fill out an application for building consent (965KB PDF), and check out the guide to completing the building consent application form (1.17MB PDF).