Alter my house

Below are the Council consents, services and fees that you may need to know about as part of your alterations project:

Project Information Memorandum

When you have an idea of what you want to build and have some initial plans, it is helpful to get a Project Information Memorandum (PIM).

A PIM will state whether or not your project needs resource consent, building consent and/or other approvals from the Council. It also advises what to take into account for the more detailed design, for example, wind speed or the location of drains on your property.

To find out more about PIMs, talk to a building consents customer service representative - phone (04) 801 4311 between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Fees Building Consent Fees
Time frame We will process your request within 20 working days.
More information Building Consent - Application Requirements

Development contributions

When new development occurs in a city, it has an impact on the existing infrastructure. Development contributions make sure existing ratepayers are not burdened with the costs of the increasing infrastructure that results from new development.

You will need to pay development contributions if your project involves the creation of:

  • a new household unit (eg house, granny flat, self-contained unit, subdivided section)
  • new non-residential space.

An assessment will be made when the following are granted:

  • resource consent (fee simple subdivision only)
  • building consent
  • service connection.

Development Contributions Policy

Alternatively, phone the Development Contributions Assessment Officer on (04) 801 3282. (This is a part-time role so you may need to leave a message.)

Time frames Your development contribution will be assessed at the same time as your resource consent or building consent.
More information Development Contributions

Building consent

All building works must comply with the Building Act to make sure that they are built safely and to an appropriate standard.

To find out whether your project will require building consent:

Fees Building Consent Fees
Time frame

We process building consents within 20 working days.

This time frame may be affected if the application:

  • is incomplete
  • does not include all the right information.
More information Building Consent - Guidelines

Vehicle access approval

Perhaps you want to do work on new or existing kerb crossings or driveways on road land? If so, you will need vehicle access approval.

When applying for this approval, you will need to provide a range of information including gradients, camber, widths and surfacing.

Vehicle Access Application Form (80KB PDF)

For more information or help with the application:

  • talk to one of our vehicle access engineers - phone (04) 499 4444 between 8am and 5pm, Monday to Friday
  • engage a professional to help you - this can be a draughtsman, architect or engineer.
Fees Building Consent Fees
Time frame

If your application is submitted as part of a building consent, we will assess vehicle access at the same time.

If your application is made separately, we aim to process it within 20 working days.

More information Building Consents