Use our free bins to minimise waste at your event
Our goal: waste-free for a smart city
In Wellington we don't take our natural wonderland for granted. We are smart about conserving and reusing our resources.
Be a waste minimisation hero
- Commit to reducing your waste
- Understand your event’s waste
- Develop a site plan
- Appoint an on-site waste operations manager
- Educate staff and volunteers
- Engage stakeholders
- Share your message loud and clear –- with the media, your staff and volunteers, and event attendees.
Guide for recycling at events
Our handy free guide for recycling at events contains case studies and everything you need to plan, organise and execute a waste-free event, no matter how big or small.
Find out how to:
- reduce, reuse and recycle
- develop a site plan
- appoint an on-site waste operations manager
- engage stakeholders
- educate staff, volunteers and attendees at your event
- write an event waste policy.
We have 15 sets of 240L bins with hoods that you can use for free at events held in Wellington city.
Book free bins for your event
Each bin set includes:
- one green bin for organics
- one blue bin for glass
- one yellow bin for plastic and tins / cans
- one red bin for general rubbish.
Choose from any of these if you don't want to borrow them all.
Conditions for borrowing the free bins
- The bins must be monitored by at least one person for the duration of the event to make sure the bins are used correctly.
- You must organise for the collection and disposal of all waste collected at the event.
The following items are accepted in Wellington City compost facility:
- unbleached paper products, such as bowls, plates, napkins or paper bags
- wooden or bamboo cutlery
- some sugarcane, bagasse, and bamboo products.
No bioplastics, which is the clear hard plastic PLA, are accepted.
Advice on how to minimise waste
We can help educate your team on the actions you can take to minimise waste at your event. Email us on email@example.com
Regional Food Vendor Guidelines
Event packaging guidelines for event organisers and vendors in the Wellington Region. Download brochure here (925KB PDF).
Koha event kits
Wash against Waste provides free kits of crockery, plates and napkins for your events. Find out more in our event section.
Waste Matters video series on Zero Waste events
View the Waste Matters playlist to view the following videos
- Zero waste events - for vendors and stallholders - YouTube video
- Zero waste events - waste monitors (volunteers who stand by the bins helping event attendees with which bins to use) - YouTube video
- Zero waste events - for event organisers and waste contractors - YouTube video
Feel free to share these videos with your team and the stakeholders of your event.