Car parks and servicing requirements

To help reduce parking congestion on Wellington's often narrow roads, you need to consider car parking and servicing requirements when you open a business, redevelop a site, or alter or build a house.

Car parks on residential sites

Under the District Plan, you need to provide one on-site car park when you have a house or propose to build a house on a residential site.

An "on-site car park" is a car park that sits within the legally defined boundaries of the computer freehold register (this used be called a "certificate of title").

If you want to build car pad, car deck or garage on the road berm next to your site you will need resource consent, as this land is owned by the Council.

Multi-unit developments

You need to provide one on-site car park for each unit if you are building a multi-unit development (a residence with more than two units on the same site).

For any development with seven or more units on one site, you also need to provide an on-site visitor car park for every four units.

Boarding houses

If you are running a boarding house, you need to provide one on-site car park for every three bedrooms.

We define a boarding house as: a residential building in which board or lodging is provided, or is intended to be provided, to five or more boarders or lodgers (other than family members of the occupier or person in charge or control of the building). A boarding house provides a permanent address or is the principal place of residence of the boarders or lodgers.

This definition does not include places where residential accommodation for five or more travellers is offered at a daily tariff or a tariff with another specified time. This includes hotels, motels, a building forming part of a camping ground, motor camp or other premises.

On-site parking exceptions

You don't need to provide on-site parking when you're splitting a house built before 27 July 2000 into two units, and there are no on-site car parks already provided within the inner residential area.

No on-site parking is needed at 9, 11, 13, 15, 17 and 19 Millward Street, Newtown.

Early childhood centre

If you're running an early childhood centre you need to provide one on-site car park for each staff member that is needed to run the centre at full capacity.

Commercial area car parks and servicing

There are no minimum car park requirements for a site in a commercial area (that is: a site zoned as business, town centre or in the central area). However, if you intend to make more than 70 car parks on-site you’ll need resource consent.

You will need an on-site loading area for your commerical area site. This is an area which has space for all vehicle loading facilities, and includes all loading spaces and manoeuvring areas.

Car park size

Wherever a car park is located, it should be at least 2.4 metres wide and 5.4 metres deep. If your car parks are smaller than this, you’ll need resource consent.

If you can’t meet the requirements

If you can’t meet the car parking requirements for your development, you will need resource consent for car parking or servicing dispensation.

We can discuss your plans, including any dispensations, at a pre-application meeting. You may also need to employ a traffic engineer, which we can talk about at the meeting.

What to include in your resource consent application

As well as the information detailed on the application form, we may need additional information to support your proposal’s resource consent.

Example of the best way to draw in the area you've surveyed on an aerial photograph.

A marked-up aerial photo of the street

You'll need to include an aerial photo of the street near your site for 50 metres in both directions, showing both available and unavailable parks and vehicle crossings. You can get an aerial photo from Council’s WebMap service or from Google Maps.

If your street is obviously busy, we may need a more detailed parking survey after a Council traffic engineer has assessed your proposal.

A written assessment of the parking demand

You'll need to include a written assessment of the demand for parking on the street at various times, including the estimated current car parking capacity (for example: 50% full at peak time). 

You can show the spaces available on the street in a simple table, like in this example:

Day Time of day
Coromandel Street North
Constable Street East
Constable Street West
Overall car-parking capacity
 7 (4 east, 3 west)
 4  11 (2 south, 9 north)
   8pm  9 (4 east, 5 west)
 4  6 (2 south, 4 north)
 Sunday  10am  8 (4 east, 4 west)
 3  8 (3 south, 5 north)
   8pm  7 (4 east, 3 west)
 2  8 (6 south, 2 north)
 Tuesday  10am  8 (5 east, 3 west)
 3  6 (2 south, 4 north)
   8pm  5 (2 east, 3 west)
 5  8 (1 south, 7 north)
 Wednesday  10am  12 (7 east, 5 west
 5  9 (4 south, 3 north)
   8pm  10 (5 east, 5 west)
 5  7 (3 south, 4 north)
 Total available parks
   14  5  20  

Alternatively, you can provide us with a plan showing vacant and occupied car parks.

Example of how to take a parking photo survey.

Parking photo survey

You also need to gives us an idea of how busy street parking is at different times with a parking photo survey.

A parking photo survey is made up of a series of photographs of both directions of traffic outside your property, taken at:

  • 10am on Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday 
  • 8pm on Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday.

Make sure that we can clearly see the cars and parking spaces in any photos that you take at night. A marked-up aerial photo will help us see where you have surveyed.

If we have concerns, you may need to provide photos of the traffic at other times as well. We’ll discuss this at your pre-application meeting.

You may be able to do the parking photo survey yourself, but it’s best to use a traffic engineer, as they can make an assessment of the effect of your proposal on the traffic.