Before you apply for a resource consent

Once you've established you need a resource consent, there are things you need to do before you apply.

Get professional help

Resource consent applications can be very complex and require a lot of technical detail. We strongly recommend that a planning consultancy, surveyor or architect applies for resource consent on your behalf.

Using an agent to prepare your application

Meet with us before you apply

You can meet with us to discuss your proposal before you submit a resource consent application. These meetings can save you time and money later.

Resource consent pre-application meetings

Talk to your neighbours

If your plans will have an effect on your neighbours (for example, shading their property or affecting their views), you should discuss your plans with them as early as possible.

Getting written approval from affected neighbours

If your plans will have an effect on the wider community or environment, your application may need to be publicly notified. This means that members of the public will be able to make submissions on your application, and those submissions will be taken into account when we make a decision on your consent.

Notified resource consents

Check other rules and permissions that may apply

Depending on your project, you may need to follow different rules or apply for other Council permissions in addition to resource consent.

On-site car park requirements

Find out if you need to provide on-site car parks for your development.

On-site car park requirements

Consult with local iwi if required

You may need to consult with local iwi if your resource consent application affects a site of significance or is within a Statutory Acknowledgement Area.

Engaging with mana whenua

Need help?

The Resource Consents team is available Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.

Resource Consents team
Phone: 04 801 3590