Extension of a specified life

How to get an 'extension of life' for a building with a specified intended life.

If a building with a specified intended life is issued with a building consent that is subject to the condition that the building be altered, removed or demolished before the end of its life, an 'extension of life' can be obtained.

How to get

The owner must give written notice to the Council if it proposes to extend the life of such a building.

You can send the notice to us:

  • by email: bcc@wcc.govt.nz
  • by post:
    Building Consents
    101 Wakefield Street
    PO Box 2199
    Wellington 6140


The Council can only give its consent if it is satisfied that the building:

More information

Visit the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment's website: Change of use, alterations and extension of life