You can apply to the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) for a determination.

Determinations can look at whether a building or building work complies with the building code or if you can’t agree with a council's decision about building work, a determination can assist you solving the problem.

They are not for civil disputes or disputes about workmanship.

More information can be found on the MBIE web site