Change of use

When changing the use of a building, you are required to notify the council under the Building Act 2004.

If you want to change the use of a building, even if no building work is involved, you first need to get the Council’s written confirmation that the requirements of the Building Act have been complied with. See the Building Act 2004, Code compliance requirements: change of use.

The Council will need to be satisfied that the building, in its new use, will comply with certain provisions of the New Zealand Building Code as near as reasonably practicable. The requirements will vary depending on what the proposed use will be, for example if a new household unit will be incorporated in the building.

If you make a change without advising the Council you could be liable for a fine of up to $5,000.

These resources, forms and checklists will help you notify the Council of your proposed change of use:


To find out how much it will cost to lodge a Change of Use notification, see: Other types of applications and their fees.