Building and resource consents

If you're planning to do building work in Wellington City, you may need to apply for resource and building consents first.

Before you start a building project

Find out if you need consent, who you might need to hire, and how to get help from the Council.

Getting help with a building project

Find out how to get advice before you apply, and which professionals you may need to hire.

Buildings with specified systems

If you own a building with specified systems – like sprinklers and automatic doors – you're responsible for making sure they are regularly inspected and maintained.

Forms and guidance

Find resource consent and building consent related forms and guidance.