Alcohol management strategy
Our alcohol management strategy provides a broader context for our alcohol policy, which aims to give communities greater control over when, where and how alcohol is sold or supplied to the public.
The Right Mix – Alcohol Management Strategy
The strategy supports the Council's alcohol policy by taking a wider view of:
- alcohol-related behaviour
- how to achieve our aspirations for a dynamic central city with vibrant suburban centres
- how we can all play a part in reducing alcohol-related harm.
The Right Mix – Alcohol Management Strategy (659KB PDF)
Issues raised during consultation
Development of the strategy involved extensive consultation with stakeholders and the general public. The issue most often raised was excessive pre-loading and side-loading (drinking your own alcohol before and in between visiting bars).
People said we also needed to look at:
- a greater mix of late-night activities
- the central city liquor ban
- the extent of host responsibility
- the proximity and density of licensed premises.
Phone: 04 801 3760