- The Dell is 1670 sq m in size.
- The stage area is approximately 150 sq m, 30m across and 5m deep. There is single and three-phase power and water available.
- Public toilets are situated close by.
Please note Wellington City Council takes no responsibility for security of marquees.
Putting up a marquee
Marquees may only be erected by a company who specialise in marquees (eg the marquee hire company).
Power cables below Dell lawn
It is essential that the people putting up the marquee know where the power cables are. We'll give you a copy of the Dell plan when you make your booking. Please give a copy of the plan to the company putting up the marquee.
- Marquees cannot be erected in the Dell during winter (May - October) as the ground is too wet.
- During the Summer City festival (January and February), the Dell will not be available for hire.
- All bookings are to be made on the booking application form and require a $180 non-refundable booking fee/deposit. You need to pay any balance owing at least 1 week before your event.
- Marquee up to 50 sq m: $360 (about 50 people seated or 100 standing)
- Marquee up to 100 sq m: $565 (about 100 people seated or 200 standing)
- More than 100 sq m: $870 (over 100 people seated or over 200 standing)
- For each extra day the marquee remains in the Dell, there will be a further charge of $200.
- The marquee booking fee does not include marquee hire.
These charges apply when the marquee is erected in the morning of the function and dismantled the morning after by 10am, unless other arrangements are made with us earlier.
Wellington City Council does not accept responsibility for the security of any marquee. You should consider security if you want to leave the marquee up overnight.
Once your booking is confirmed by the Venue and Bookings Coordinator, you can pay online using your payment reference:
- The size of your marquee and the type of function you're holding determine the size of the bond payable.
- Bond charges range from a minimum of $500, going up to $5,000. Botanic Garden management set the bond.
- Your bond must be paid in advance of your booking date. The bond is fully refundable if all conditions of use contained in your contract have been met.
- All functions and events held at Wellington Botanic Garden must be family oriented as it's a public venue.
- Wellington City Council accepts no responsibility for the security of the marquee, or for anything left in the area following the event.
- You can't park vehicles on grassed areas. Only essential service vehicles are permitted to drive on to the grass for off-loading and collecting equipment − they can't stay parked there.
- You are to remove all rubbish at the end of the event and leave the venue in as clean and tidy condition as you found it.
- You are responsible for, and are to make good, any damage / loss to property and plants in or about the area, discovered at the end of the hire period.
- Please be aware that the Botanic Garden is a public place and members of the public must not be hindered in anyway.
- You must keep noise to a reasonable level. We don't allow any amplified music after 10pm.
- We confirm all bookings.
- All functions and events must be approved by the Venue and Bookings Coordinator.
Process for booking the marquee space
- Contact the Treehouse Visitor Centre to make a booking.