Purchase a plot

You can apply to buy a plot for a burial or to scatter ashes.

Seaforth Memorial Gardens.

Seaforth Memorial Gardens, Karori Cemetery


Check the types of plots available at each cemetery listed below.

If you would like to discuss your requirements further, contact our Cemeteries Administrator on (04) 476 6109 or email cemeteries@wcc.govt.nz.

Types of plots

Each cemetery has its own guidelines for plots.

Karori Cemetery


Plots are reserved by size (single or double) and by the type of memorial monument (granite, bronze).


Seaforth Memorial Gardens plots, or granite and bronze niches, or scattering in native bush, or you can inter in an existing family plot.

Makara Cemetery


Plots are reserved by denomination, different specifications can apply to each plot with unique conditions for multiple burials.


Headstone option in the Ash Berm section, or granite / bronze plaque in the Ash Circle section, or you can inter in an existing family plot.

Bolton Street Cemetery


You can inter ashes in existing family plots.


Apply to buy a plot

When you buy a plot from the Council, you become the Deed Holder of the plot. You get an 'Exclusive Right of Interment' in perpetuity.

Terms used on the form:

The person named in the 'Application details' is the official plot owner. A 'Deed of Exclusive Right of Interment' is issued in their name.

The Deed Holder is the only person who can legally decide who will be interred there - by issuing a Right of Interment - and what memorials will be placed there.

Complete the Application to Purchase an Exclusive Right of Interment and send or fax it to the Karori Cemetery office.

Application to purchase an exclusive right of interment (45KB PDF)

Use an existing plot

If the Deed Holder dies before issuing a Right of Interment, the spouse or immediate next of kin can decide how to use the plot as long as all interested parties agree. To provide authority to use an existing plot, complete the following form:

Application to vary an existing deed of exclusive right of interment (54KB PDF)

Transfer or change ownership

The Deed Holder, immediate next of kin or estate trustee can transfer ownership of a plot, or change the parties named as holding a Right of Interment, by completing the Application to Vary an Existing Deed of Exclusive Right of Interment form (see above).