Recyclable recycling bags
The see-through recycling bags introduced in 2019 are recyclable alongside the items that are put in them.
Using your recycling bags
- The bags take clean paper, cardboard, plastics numbered 1, 2 & 5, tins and cans.
- The bags hold up to 10kg in weight.
- With the bags being see-through, we recommend that you ensure you don't put any confidential or sensitive documents within.
- The new bags are wrapped in the same material as the bag so it can be the first thing you put into the new bags.
- The same type of recycling materials that go in the wheelie bin can also go into these recycling bags. For more details, see Sorting and Preparing Your Recycling.
How do I get my recycling bags?
Homes outside the city centre
If you live outside the city centre and your address is unsuitable for a wheelie bin, you will receive a yearly delivery of 52 recycling bags. These start arriving on your doorstep from early April each year. If you believe you have been missed in the delivery, please get in touch with our Contact Centre before the cut-off date at the end of July each year (NB: the deadline has been extended to end of August in 2020 to allow for impacts of COVID-19).
If you run out and need more recycling bags you can buy them from:
How much do recycling bags cost?
- Cost: $13 for a pack of 26 bags.
Homes in the city centre
If you live in the city centre, you don't need a Council recycling bag, you can place your recycling out for collection in any clear, plastic bag.
- You can buy a pack of 10 clear plastic bags (5 for glass and 5 for general recycling) at the Council’s Service Centre for $3.10
Note: We are currently reviewing the whole CBD recycling collection system. This process will take some time.
What recycling items can go in the bags?
Clean paper, cardboard, plastics numbered 1, 2 & 5, tins and cans can all go into the bags. For more information on what is and isn't recyclable visit our What to do with my waste Search.
Why recyclable bags?
- The new bags will be recycled back into LDPE pellets, as a ‘raw’ material as part of manufacturing of new products.
- LDPE is widely used for manufacturing various containers, dispensing bottles, wash bottles, tubing, plastic bags for computer components, and various molded laboratory equipment. Its most common use is in plastic bags. Other products made from it include trays and general purpose containers.
- The new bags will be recycled overseas while there is a market for such projects, and until on-shore processing and a local market exists.
- Because the bags are see-through, they reduce contamination and risks to collectors.