Using your recycling bags
- Put clean cardboard, paper, plastics numbered 1, 2 and 5, tins and cans in the bags. Find out more about what can go in kerbside recycling.
- The bags are 70L and hold up to 10kg in weight.
- As the bags are see-through, we recommend you don't put any confidential or sensitive documents within them.
- The same type of recycling materials that go in the wheelie bin can also go into these recycling bags.
How to get recycling bags
Homes outside the city centre
If you live outside the city centre and your address is unsuitable for a wheelie bin, you will receive a yearly delivery of 52 recycling bags.
Recycling bags are distributed suburb by suburb between April and mid-July.
If you run out and need more recycling bags you can buy them for $13 (for a pack of 26 bags) at:
Homes in the city centre
If you live in the city centre, you don't need a Council recycling bag, you can place your recycling out for collection in any clear, plastic bag.
If you prefer, you can buy a pack of 10 clear plastic bags (5 for glass and 5 for general recycling) for $3.10 at the Council’s Service Centre.
Note: We are currently reviewing the city centre's recycling collection system. This process will take some time.
Failure to comply
Our recycling system is controlled under the Solid Waste Management and Minimisation Bylaw 2020. Failure to comply with this bylaw can result in:
- your recycling not being collected, in which case the recycling must be removed from the street. Failure to do so could result in an Infringement Notice and fine of up to $400
- the Council preventing you from using the collection service.
Multi-unit dwellings of 10 or more units are not eligible for recycling crates, bags or wheelie bins and clips.