Make a complaint

Check to see who to contact before you make a complaint about noise.

The Council deals with specific noise problems. Some kinds of noise - such as noisy cars and workplace noise - are controlled by other organisations under different regulations.

Noise problems dealt with by the Council

Phone: 04 499 4444

Call the Council's Contact Centre to make a complaint about excessive noise from:

  • loud party and stereos
  • house and building alarms
  • construction activity
  • buskers and bars
  • industry or commercial uses affecting residents.

Barking dogs

Contact the Council:

Phone (preferred): 04 801 3222 Monday to Friday, 8am – 5 pm
04 499 4444 After hours

Who to contact for other types of noise

Traffic noise

Contact your local Traffic Safety Branch:

Police Station by District - NZ Police

Workplace noise

Contact Occupational Safety and Health:

Phone: 0800 030 040
Website: Department of Labour

The Council's role in minimising noise pollution

The Council's Noise Control Officers aim to minimise noise pollution by enforcing excessive noise provisions in the Resource Management Act (RMA). Officers monitor noise levels of allowed activities and check that levels comply with the District Plan.

In the inner city and commercial areas, higher noise levels are allowed. New residential units in these areas have to be insulated, to give lower internal noise levels.

What happens when you make a noise complaint to the Council

If you contact the Council to make a noise complaint, the Contact Centre will take your contact details. These are not given to the person you are calling about. The operator will ask you to phone back after 15 minutes to confirm whether the noise is continuing.

Noise Control Officers consider the effect the noise is having on the complainant, and take into account the time of day, background noise and duration.

Some types of noise such as noise from industry or commercial uses have to be measured to make sure they comply with the limits stated in the District Plan.

Speak to a Noise Control Officer

Ask the Contact Centre to put you through to one of our Environmental Noise Control Officers during business hours or email to:

  • arrange measurements of noise from industry or commercial uses
  • discuss ongoing noise issues such as frequent noise from parties or stereos.

Noise direction notice

If the Noise Control Officer finds that the noise reported is excessive, they issue a noise direction notice. It states that the noise has to be reduced to a reasonable level. This notice applies for 72 hours from the time it is issued.

If excessive noise starts up within the 72 hours, contact the Council again and an officer will re-visit the address.

Penalties for excessive noise

If the person responsible for the noise does not comply with the noise direction notice, Noise Control Officers may take the equipment making the noise.