Central Fire Station, 2−38 Oriental Parade (1939)

The Wellington Fire Station on the day of its opening, 1937.
The Wellington Fire Station on the day of its opening in 1937

This essentially Moderne building makes good use of a very fine site. Built to replace the previous Central Fire Station, alongside the Wellington Town Hall, it addresses Oriental Parade with a symmetrical facade and a set-back central tower, decorated with vestiges of Art Deco.

The building was first planned in 1932 and architect C.H. Mitchell, of the firm Mitchell and Mitchell, was engaged to prepare designs. Mitchell planned a building on two levels with the main station on Oriental Parade and the married men’s flats behind. The building was designed to hold nine fire appliances and to provide accommodation for 21 married men and 33 single men.

The building was officially opened by the Governor General, Lord Galway, on 1 December 1937.

The clock, a gift to the city from the Blundell family, was originally placed in the Wellington Town Hall in 1922 but after the removal of the Town Hall tower for earthquake reasons it was moved here.

Image reference: Alexander Turnbull Library 40001/2