Mountain bike skills areas
The Council has created five skills areas to help kids develop basic techniques to cycle off-road. The locations are:
- Alexandra Road, Mount Victoria – Newtown-end of the road in the Town Belt
- Central Park – in the playground
- Karori Park – on the hill in the pine trees behind the park
- Miramar water towers – off Main Road near Wellington Prison
- South Coast Kids' Track, Adelaide Road, Island Bay – next to Berhampore/Island Bay skate park.
Areas closed to mountain biking
Some of Wellington's walks and walkways are open to mountain bikes, however, Eastern Walkway and City to Sea Walkway are not.
Walks and walkways
For information on areas and tracks in Wellington that are closed to mountain biking, see the Schedule A – C of the Open Space Access Plan (88KB PDF).
Mountain Bike NZ Code of Conduct
Because Wellington's tracks are used by many people, the Council supports Mountain Bike NZ's Code of Conduct.
Cycling New Zealand – Organisation documents