Building consent search service

You can request copies of all the building permits and issued building consents we hold for a specific residential or commercial property using this service.

What to expect from this service

The permits and consents usually include:

  • application forms
  • plans and drawings
  • specifications and calculations
  • inspection notes.

Types of request

Building consent search

If you want all the building permits and issued building consents for a single residential property, you can order a Building Consent Search for $55.

Request all building consents for a residential address

Online property search

If you want to search and see which building permits and consents exist for residential and commercial properties, and then request the items you need, you can do this using Archives online.

Archives online

Searching for items in Archives online

Archives online will show you which building permits and consents are issued for an address – however, you won’t be to see the actual content.

You can request the items that you want. Once payment is made, we will send the digitised content to you.

Archives online can be used to search all of councils archives records, not just building records. This includes correspondence files, photographs, minutes of the Council, and many other gems.

Payment and delivery

Once we receive your order, we will send you a payment link. When payment has been received, the permits or consents will be scanned and emailed to you. Alternatively, we can post the files to you on CD.

If you are set up for invoicing with Wellington City Council, let us know and we will begin processing your order once we receive it. If you would like to be set up for invoicing, please contact us

You’ll receive the items you have ordered within 5 working days from payment.

Information available

The information contained in building permits and/or consents varies and might include:

  • completed consent application forms
  • drainage plans relating to consented work
  • copies of plans and specifications
  • code compliance certificates
  • Project Information Memoranda (PIMs)

We can't guarantee that a consent will contain all the information you require.

How this differs from what's provided in a LIM

These documents are not included in a Land Information Memorandum (LIM) or any of the other property reports available from the Council.

LIMs include a list of permits and consents but not the documents themselves.

Building compliance and consents information

The building consent search service provides copies of issued building consents. We cannot provide interpretation of the content.

Please contact the Building Compliance and Consents team if you require more information about the following:

  • interpretation of the content of the permits/consents you have received
  • a building consent still in progress
  • advice about applying for building consents
  • information regarding the consent process.

Building Compliance and Consents Team
Phone: 04 801 4311

Drainage records

You can view a map showing general water and drainage information using Council's Water and Drainage - WebMap, or you can order a property report.

You may also find some drainage information on Archives online – however, these records may be incomplete, or not up to date.

State housing records

If your request is about a state house or ex-state house, the amount of information we hold is likely to be limited. You can check this by going to Archives online and searching your address – this will confirm whether we hold information on your property or whether you should contact Kāinga Ora – Homes and Communities instead.

Large government-built works

We hold information on some large government buildings (built before 1991), but not others. We can take a look but you may need to contact Archives New Zealand.


Item Charge
Full residential property package (all available permits and consents for a property) $55
Residential/commercial property (first 10 items) $125
Additional items (per item) $25
CD and postage $5
Special rates for students with ID for a registered course
Residential/commercial property (first 10 items) $30
Additional items (per item) $10

Contact us

Wellington City Archives
Phone: 04 801 2096
Address: 28 Barker Street (off Cambridge Terrace), Wellington 6011 | View on Google Maps