Subdivide property

What's involved when you're subdividing a property or building, or altering a boundary between properties.

How it works

Subdivision is the legal division of land or buildings for separate ownership.

You can subdivide:

You also need to go through the subdivision process if you want to adjust the boundary between neighbouring properties.

Who's involved

A subdivision project is usually managed by a surveyor or other land development professional.

A simple subdivision like a boundary adjustment between neighbours might involve the owners, the surveyor, the Council and a solicitor.

A large and complex subdivision might also involve engineers, contractors, architects, designers, landscapers, planners, quantity surveyors, valuers, real estate agents and others.

Using an agent to prepare your application

The process

1. Concept and planning

Every subdivision starts with an idea.

Talk to us, and seek advice from a surveyor or other professional who understands the process and can advise if your proposal is feasible.

Resource consent pre-application meetings

2. Apply for a resource consent

You need a resource consent to subdivide a property. Getting a resource consent can be a specialised process and we recommend using a surveyor or planner to help you.

Applying for a resource consent

3. Construction

Subdivisions create new land parcels (lots) that may need substantial earthworks or additional services, including driveways, drainage, water supply, power and phone and internet connections.

All these requirements will be stated as conditions on the subdivision resource consent. These conditions must be completed before we issue the final certification.

Monitoring resource consent conditions

4. Allocate new addresses

When your resource consent is approved, you'll receive an address allocation sheet. It's important that you use the addresses in the format you're allocated, as it can create confusion if you don’t. Please don’t make assumptions about new addresses.

If you have any questions about address allocation, you can contact Land, Customer and Property Information by phone on 04 499 4444 or by email at

5. Cadastral survey

Cadastral survey is the formal legal survey of the land to finalise the new property boundaries and dimensions. It's usually done when construction is complete.

The cadastral survey is carried out by your Licenced Cadastral Surveyor who lodges it for checking and deposit with Land Information New Zealand (LINZ).

6. Certification

We confirm all the conditions of the resource consent are met and provide certification to LINZ so they can issue new records of title.


Resource consent fees

For any fee simple subdivision, you also need to pay a development contribution. Development contributions help reduce the impact that new developments have on infrastructure and demand for Council services, such as water supply, waste water or community infrastructure.

Development contributions

Need help?

The Resource Consents team is available Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm.

Resource Consents team
Phone: 04 801 3590