In most cases, you won't need resource consent to remove your chimney.
You may need resource consent if your building:
For more information, phone a Council planner on 04 801 3590 or email email@example.com
Note: If you need resource consent, you should get it before you apply for any other consents or permissions.
You don't need a building consent to remove your chimney if:
- it is an unreinforced chimney made of brick, stone or concrete
- the building is three storeys high or less
- removing it won't have an adverse affect on the primary structure of the building
- it is not a shared joint chimney stack between two semi-detached buildings
- it does not provide structural support to an upper floor or roof structure.
All work must meet the Building Code, including using acceptable trade practices, including fixing any holes in floors, ceilings and internal partitions, and making the roof weathertight.
New building consent exemptions – Building Performance
If your chimney doesn't meet the criteria above, you will need to get a building consent before work begins.