Build or demolish a deck

Find out which Council permissions you might need to build, replace or demolish a deck.

Resource consent

You may need resource consent if you're building a deck:

  • close to a boundary
  • that increases your site coverage over the threshold specified for your property in the District Plan. 

Note: If you need resource consent, you should get it before you apply for any other consents or permissions.

Resource consents

Building consent

You need a building consent to build or replace a deck that's more than 1.5m above the ground at any point.

Building consents

Other permissions you might need

If the work will encroach on the legal road

Wellington’s topography means you may sometimes need to use the road for your car deck or garage, or structures such as steps, fences or walls.

Use road reserve for private purposes