Animal boarding establishments

If you are running or setting up an animal boarding establishment, you must apply for a certificate of registration.

The Wellington Consolidated Bylaw 2008 - Part 2: Animals requires a certificate of registration if you operate, or want to set up an animal boarding establishment, or a facility like dog day care. You may also need a resource or building consent. Animal boarding establishments include boarding kennels and catteries. 

Certificate of registration

Your certificate of registration should be displayed within your establishment so the public can see it. 

Apply for a registration

Use the form below for: 

  • a new registration
  • a change of occupier.

Application for registration of premises (39KB PDF)

Send your completed form:

  • by email: – we'll send you details for paying fees.
  • by post – you'll be sent an invoice after your application is received:
    Public Health
    PO Box 2199
    Wellington 6140
  • in person at our Service Centre – fees can be paid using cash, EFTPOS and credit card.


Service Charges (GST included)
 Animal boarding establishment $250

Welfare standards

Boarding establishments must comply with the government's animal welfare code. Consult the Code of Welfare for the Temporary Housing of Companion Animals to find out what standards you need to meet.

Resource consent

You may need a resource consent if there are environmental impacts or land zoning changes.

Building consent

You may need a building consent for construction, plumbing or drainage work.

New establishments or complaints 

To discuss setting up an animal boarding establishment or other nuisance issues, contact the Animal Liaison Officer or an Environmental Health Officer on 04 499 4444 or