Social housing

Wellington City Council has been providing rental accommodation for people with a serious housing need since the 1950s. From 1 August 2023, the Council’s housing will be managed under lease by Te Toi Mahana, a charitable housing trust.

Kotuku Apartments

Applying for a home

For information or help to apply for a home, either with Te Toi Mahana, Kāinga Ora or another Community Housing Provider, please contact the Ministry of Social Development (MSD).

Call on 0800 559 009, or if you are over 65 call 0800 552 002.

Or visit the MSD website:

Apply for public housing

Te Toi Mahana

Te Toi Mahana manages the tenancies, community activities, and maintenance of homes which it leases from the Council.

Te Toi Mahana is an independent charitable trust and a registered Community Housing Provider (CHP).

As a CHP Te Toi Mahana will:

  • be able to apply for funding to build more public housing in Wellington
  • access the government's Income Related Rent Subsidy (IRRS) for new, eligible tenants, improving tenant wellbeing.

Te Toi Mahana sources new tenants, as vacancies become available, from the MSD Public Housing Register.

How to contact Te Toi Mahana

Phone: 0800 248 944

More information

To find out more about the transition from the Council’s City Housing service to Te Toi Mahana, visit our Community Housing Provider project page.